Massachusetts Alimony Attorneys
Dedicated Divorce and Family Law Attorneys throughout Massachusetts
Karpenski & Schmelkin, Divorce and Family Law Attorneys are dedicated to providing quality representation in alimony and spousal support cases.
Alimony is defined as “the payment of support from a spouse, who has the ability to pay, to a spouse in need of support for a reasonable length of time, under a court order” Mass. Gen. Laws. Ch. 208 §48.
Our team at Karpenski & Schmelkin will assist with the following services (including but not limited to):
- Calculating alimony in divorce actions where one spouse is the high-income earner and the other spouse needs alimony to maintain the lifestyle established during the marriage.
- Determining an appropriate amount and duration of alimony under the Massachusetts Alimony Reform Act (Mass. Gen. Laws. Ch. 208 §§ 34, 48-55).
- Conduct extensive financial discovery to determine hidden income and hidden assets.
- Work with necessary experts such as certified divorce financial planners, certified public accountants, forensic accountants, business appraiser, real estate appraiser, etc… to assist in calculating the source of income available income for alimony, tax ramifications of an alimony order, and maximize the available after tax-income.
- Assist clients with initiating Contempt actions to enforce an alimony order or judgment.
- Assist clients in defending against Contempt actions.
- Assist clients with initiating Modification actions to either reduce, suspend, or terminate an existing alimony order or judgment under the Massachusetts Alimony Reform Act.
- Assist clients in defending against Modification actions.
- Work with vocational experts in alimony cases involving earning capacity issues where one spouse is voluntarily earning less than the spouse can through reasonable efforts.
- Effect of Federal and State Laws on alimony.
Alimony is not always as straightforward as you would think. The team at Karpenski & Schmelkin has years of experience in family law and helping clients resolve alimony issues, no matter how complicated they may seem. During this emotionally charged time, you need a law firm that has experience handling alimony issues, that has your best interests at the forefront and treats you as an individual.
Contact Karpenski & Schmelkin to schedule a consultation and answer any questions you may have about alimony.