Massachusetts Child Support Attorneys
Dedicated Divorce and Family Law Attorneys throughout Massachusetts
Child Support can be a highly contested subject between parents during a difficult time and the team at Karpenski & Schmelkin, is available to explain how Massachusetts law determines child support and to work with you to ensure your child(ren) will be financially supported.
Typically, the non-custodial parent pays child support to the custodial parent. The law provides that both parents are responsible for providing financial support to their child(ren).
Several factors are taken into consideration by the court when calculating child support. These include each parent’s gross weekly income, the costs of child care and the cost of health insurance. A parent with a high income may be required by the court to pay a proportionally higher amount of child support. The final amount of child support is decided after the needs of the child and the parents’ income are thoroughly accessed by the court using the Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines.
Our team at Karpenski & Schmelkin will help you with the following services (including but not limited to):
- Determine an appropriate amount of child support under the Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines.
- Determine appropriate circumstances for deviations from the Massachusetts Child support Guidelines.
- Identify sources of income available for child support purposes such as self-employment income, rental income, overtime income, commission income, unemployment, and more.
- Work with vocational experts in circumstances involving earning capacity issues where one spouse is voluntarily earning less than the spouse otherwise can through reasonable efforts.
- Assist clients in Contempt actions to enforce a child support order or judgment.
- Assist clients in Modification actions of child support orders or judgments.
Child Support is not always as straightforward as you would think. The team at Karpenski & Schmelkin has years of experience in family law and helping clients resolve child support issues, no matter how complicated they may seem. During this emotionally charged time, you need a law firm that has experience handling child support issues, that has your best interests at the forefront and treats you as an individual.
Contact Karpenski & Schmelkin to schedule a consultation and answer any questions you may have about child support.